Saturday, May 1, 2010

Spotlight: Lalina


Hello People on the Internet! Its Ed, and I’m here to present to you the very first author interview on The Electronic Bookshelf! For this interview I was lucky enough to get to ask Lalina some questions about her, her writing and her story, The Sacrificial Lamb/The Lion and the Jackal.

The basic info from the original recommendation from the blog, Cops and Robbers, is at the bottom of this blog, so if you haven’t read it, go there first.

***WARNING***

This Interview talks about the sequel to the original story, so possible spoilers and whatnot. Basically, go read the stories first

****************

Now onto the Q&A section, enjoy!

Q: What did you think of Breaking Dawn?

A: I had a mixed reaction; I liked certain parts and not others. I hated that SM made Jacob into a pedophile and the battle that never was left me disappointed since the Cullens, their friends and the wolves would have kicked some Volturi

** :)) I hadn't followed the series however, I read all 4 books in one shot so I don't think I was quite as disappointed as the more diehard fans who'd had to wait for the book to come out. Overall, I liked it, however.

Q: Favorite Twilight couple?

A: Need you ask? Bella and Edward!

Q: Which movie did you like more, Twilight or New Moon? Why?

A: I liked NM better. I thought the acting was slightly better, I liked the colour palate, I liked that there wasn't raucous music through dialogue scenes, the effects were much better as well. There was stuff that was lacking for me (Rob was too mellow, Kristen... well, she's just her, I wish they hadn't cut out so much of what happened once Bella and Edward reunited) but overall it wasn't too bad.

Q: How did you come up with the idea for TSL?

A: Would you believe it was a dream? lol... Serious, I dreamed part of the first chapter of TSL (when Aro offers Bella to Edward) and when I woke up, I couldn't get it out of my head. I started wondering why Aro would have Bella in the first place? Who is Edward to him? and next thing you know, I had the basic concept of the story and the first chapter written.

Q: Did you do any research for the stories or is this all from your imagination?

A: It's all from my imagination, but I did do a lot of research into guns, shooting, geography etc. as I was writing it out :))

Q: Who would you say supported you the most when writing?

A: The girls who followed me from my previous story, Love Net. I posted chapter 1 for them to see if they thought the story was worth pursuing and got huge thumbs up, so I continued the story.

Q: Who/what inspired your characterizations of Edward and Bella in your story?

A: You know what? No one and nothing! lol... Honestly, I didn't really picture anyone in particular or base my characters on anyone in particular. Of course, I used SM's character descriptions and pieces of their personalities, but otherwise it was just what I imagined in my mind.

Q: What, in your opinion, did you find most challenging about writing TSL/TLATJ?

A: Trying not to make it into a bad Sopranos episode :)) And trying to keep it as realistic as fiction can get.

Q: So you left us really hanging at the end of TSL, did you do that on purpose, already having the ideas for a sequel ready? Or did you that just happen over time?

A: Well, as I mentioned in my post-story notes, TSL was never intended to be a sequel. But somewhere along the line I got the idea for TLTJ and decided to change the ending. I figured what better way to amp ppl up for the sequel by ending it with a bang! (pun intended) For the most part it worked, but I had some pretty ** off ppl on my hands at first! :))

Q: How did you feeling when you started writing the sequel/posting it on? About the reader’s response to the first few chapters?

A: I was excited to get writing again. I had taken a bit of a break between the stories (about 1mo) so it was nice to get back in the groove. It was a bit harder to write than TSL because I was working with a different POV, but luckily things evened out pretty quickly.

Reader response has been really positive from the get go! I was honestly surprised at how many ppl came out and supported the sequel. It was really awesome and made me incredibly happy so many ppl were willing to give it a chance. Esp those who felt a little disgruntled at the end of TSL!

Q: I know it was pretty angsty at first, was that any harder to write then the rest of the story?

A: Yeah, the angst kicked my butt for a while :)) Let me tell you, I was so happy when they arrived in Florida and Emmett joined the party! LOL

Q: If you had to pick, which do you like writing more, TSL or TLATJ? Why?

A: I think I liked TSL more because of the new love aspect to it. And there were more twists and surprises so it was really fun and exciting to watch reader response. TLTJ was darker, heavier to write, more angst and heartbreak, plus we touched on some sadistic moments and THAT was difficult to write as well.

It took a lot more out of me!

Q: Any idea how long you plan for TLATJ to be?

A: If I've done the math right it should be about 32 chapters including prologue and epilogue. I do have 3 out takes that will be posted in addition to that as well.

Q: It feels like its being wrapped up, if so how do you feel being getting near the end of this, well these, stories? What’s it like wrapping ups something so big?

A: Ah, but is it the wrap up? lol... who knows ;)) But in all seriousness, the end of any story is tough. This will be my 4th completed story and let me tell you, it doesn't get any easier! You spend so much time crafting these ppl and living with them in your head and it's hard to say goodbye to them. Even in a sequel situation it can be hard... well for me it was because Edward and

Bella, as well as the dynamic of their relationship, had changed SO much so I was still in essence saying goodbye.

Q: What’s your favorite type of FanFic to read?

A: I don't have one. I'll read anything if it's written well and has a good plot

:))

Q: Is there any type you never read? Why?

A: I tend not to read S&M and slash stories. No particular reason, they just aren't my cup of tea.

Q: Do you have a specific writing process?

A: Usually, I just wait for the kidlets to go to bed, go to my bedroom so I can avoid TV distraction, play my MP3s and write in the dark :))

Q: What’s the hardest part about writing for you?

A: Lately, it's finding the time! My youngest used to go to bed at 7pm and since DST kicked in, he's now going to be closer to 9. That's 2hrs a night I've lost which makes a HUGE difference! By writing a few chapters at a time, I've managed.

Q: What’s the hardest part about writing for you?

A: Lately, it's finding the time! My youngest used to go to bed at 7pm and since DST kicked in, he's now going to bed closer to 9pm. That's 2hrs a night I've lost which makes a HUGE difference! By writing a few chapters at a time, I've managed to stay on my weekly schedule, but it was a close call! :))

Q: Who was your favorite character to write? Why?
A: In TSL probly Bella cause she was spunky and fun. In TLTJ it's Emmett, hands down.

Q: What character are you most proud of/has grown the most, in your eyes?
A: I'm most proud of Edward, he has grown the most since the start of the story and he's had quite the journey.

Q: Is there any music you like to listen to when you write?
A: I listen to a mix of stuff, really :))

Q: Favorite author outside of fanfiction?

A: Diana Gabaldon, author on The Outlander series.


Q: Working on anything new, planning anything after this story, or just taking one thing at a time?
A: For sure I'll be writing a shorter story about Max for a FGB piece. After that, I'm not sure. I did have a story I wanted to start but I may keep that on the back burner for now in order to take a bit of a break. Or maybe not... Things are up in the air at the moment, really.

Q: Anything else you’d like to say about writing fanfiction or your story?
A: Maybe just a huge thanks to the girls who've followed my stories and have been a constant support on the Twi'd board. Also to those ppl who read and review and move me with how much they enjoy my stories. And of course, much love to my beta Beowulfgirl, she's been detrimental to my sanity this go round!

:))


Hey again, hope you enjoyed learning a little more about Lalina! I'd like to thank her once more for taking the time and answering a ton of questions for my blog. And a thanks to anyone reading this, I'm writing it for you! Join me again next week for another author interview.

-Ed




Rating: M

Genre: Suspense/Romance

Complete/Last Update: Complete

Summary: Edward Masen has one thing on his mind: Vengeance. When his mob boss kidnaps Bella Swan, he has a choice to make. Will the inexplicable pull he feels for his captive be enough to make him sacrifice his plans? AH ExB

TSL Sequel

Why Read? This has to be one of my favorite fan fiction's, it well it completely surprises you the whole time (and that's not that easy to do). You follow Edward and Bella, as you've never read them before. The atmosphere created is addictive, and well it's a really hot story. And, the sequel is just as good if not better, personally i'm anxiously awaiting every update. (can't say anything else, don't want to give any of the story away!)

And as you've now read in the interview, Edward and Bella are quite unique in this story which makes it that better of a read. It's quite intense at times, especially at the beginning, or well never mind its always intense but it how it should be. And the sequel is just as good picking up right where the first story leaves off, and throws you back in the story in the first chapter. It's all action and suspense with a lot of loving mixed in.

0 comments:

Post a Comment